Gentlemen - behold! My University!
As promised, here they are. Cold, hard packets of digital evidence of all that has been foretold. Look ye upon these, and rejoice in thine own surroundings, for they are blessed indeed.
PS - There are a lot of pictures in this post, so it may take a while to load if you are a caveperson with an absurdly slow connection. Click on a picture to see a bigger version.

Hello! And welcome to . . . well, I can't really read the name. I think it says something about languages and forests. Anyway those cables are always there, so it's a mystery that may never be solved. It won't matter though, as long as we, each of us, remember to " **m h*gh ". Truly inspiring.

Ah! Welcome home! What's that you say? Your last home didn't have quite so much detritus strewn about it? Or quite so large a pile of dirt in the entranceway? Why, my good sir - those are standard features for residences in China! I myself would feel quite at a loss without my very own big pile of rotting lumber and prodigious mound of earth! Watch out for rusty nails.

This is an abandoned building full of rats and Chinese ghosts. Wait, no - this is where I live. The rats and ghosts live in the luxury condo across the lake.

My door. Most of that dirt was here when I first came in, although Jessica dragged in a little more. I think the broom was left there as a joke. Ha-HAA!

This is where I am meant to cleanse myself. The abundant crust of dirt around the edges took me over an hour to scrape off.

I took most of these pictures in a hurry, simply because I didn't want to waste a lot of time documenting the filth rather than eradicating it. I sort of regret that though, because if I had taken the time to really set up some quality shots, they could have revealed the true depths of the quagmire that is my apartment. For example, in this shot - any fool can see the gelatinized oils coating the shelves. But what you don't see are the fine colonies of mold sprouting from nearly every surface that is not covered in said oil. Such are the limitations of photographic technology.

Let's cook! Yes, these were intended for my use. No, I have never used them. There's not enough bleach in the world.

This is the one item in my apartment that I have refused to clean. Instead I have preserved it just as I found it the day I arrived. It remains, to this day, a stirring reminder of man's inhumanity to man. If you haven't eaten recently, and don't intend to do so anytime soon, click on the picture for a larger version.

Well! Time to head out and check out the campus!

Ah, the good old "Tea Hing building". It would have been called the "Teaching Building" but the Chinese government outlawed the letter "c". Note the broken glass in the foreground. It remained there for three days.

The main road leading to my school. This is a good day, as it resembles more of a road and less of a muddy ditch.

The best shopping around! Seriously though, I know I sort of denigrated this area but I love these little places now. The booth on the far left is a noodle shop that I like to frequent. To the left of that (not pictured) is "8 add 8", a little juice shop that I absolutely adore. Every time I go there, the same five college girls are working and while they make me my blueberry smoothie I delight in seeing how many different ways I can make them giggle and blush. Sometimes I also point at things in the store and ask the girls what they are. Then they proceed to tell me in their China language, and I don't understand them, but I nod and smile and they giggle and blush and I mentally give myself a point.

I don't think I need to tell you that I love the 515. Most of the teachers here take taxis everywhere - not this cowboy. I am constantly looking for excuses to take the 515. I can't really explain why - it's like an adventure every time, with the farm animals and the spitting and the total lack of rules or decorum. Deb said that once when she was on the 515, a man boarded with half a cow. I think she said it was the top half. Anyway, he sort of had a bag over one end of it, but then he dropped it on the floor and blood splattered everywhere. Deb immediately fled the bus and hasn't taken it since. 515, I salute you.
Okay, that's all for now. Personally, I find these kinds of pictures sort of boring, but I thought you all would want to see them anyway. The next time I do a bunch of pictures they'll be of people, which I think is more interesting. Anyway, I'll post again soon with an update of my doings. Until then, let me know if there's anything you'd like to ask about.
Hao ba.
PS - There are a lot of pictures in this post, so it may take a while to load if you are a caveperson with an absurdly slow connection. Click on a picture to see a bigger version.

Hello! And welcome to . . . well, I can't really read the name. I think it says something about languages and forests. Anyway those cables are always there, so it's a mystery that may never be solved. It won't matter though, as long as we, each of us, remember to " **m h*gh ". Truly inspiring.

Ah! Welcome home! What's that you say? Your last home didn't have quite so much detritus strewn about it? Or quite so large a pile of dirt in the entranceway? Why, my good sir - those are standard features for residences in China! I myself would feel quite at a loss without my very own big pile of rotting lumber and prodigious mound of earth! Watch out for rusty nails.

This is an abandoned building full of rats and Chinese ghosts. Wait, no - this is where I live. The rats and ghosts live in the luxury condo across the lake.

My door. Most of that dirt was here when I first came in, although Jessica dragged in a little more. I think the broom was left there as a joke. Ha-HAA!

This is where I am meant to cleanse myself. The abundant crust of dirt around the edges took me over an hour to scrape off.

I took most of these pictures in a hurry, simply because I didn't want to waste a lot of time documenting the filth rather than eradicating it. I sort of regret that though, because if I had taken the time to really set up some quality shots, they could have revealed the true depths of the quagmire that is my apartment. For example, in this shot - any fool can see the gelatinized oils coating the shelves. But what you don't see are the fine colonies of mold sprouting from nearly every surface that is not covered in said oil. Such are the limitations of photographic technology.

Let's cook! Yes, these were intended for my use. No, I have never used them. There's not enough bleach in the world.

This is the one item in my apartment that I have refused to clean. Instead I have preserved it just as I found it the day I arrived. It remains, to this day, a stirring reminder of man's inhumanity to man. If you haven't eaten recently, and don't intend to do so anytime soon, click on the picture for a larger version.

Well! Time to head out and check out the campus!

Ah, the good old "Tea Hing building". It would have been called the "Teaching Building" but the Chinese government outlawed the letter "c". Note the broken glass in the foreground. It remained there for three days.

The main road leading to my school. This is a good day, as it resembles more of a road and less of a muddy ditch.

The best shopping around! Seriously though, I know I sort of denigrated this area but I love these little places now. The booth on the far left is a noodle shop that I like to frequent. To the left of that (not pictured) is "8 add 8", a little juice shop that I absolutely adore. Every time I go there, the same five college girls are working and while they make me my blueberry smoothie I delight in seeing how many different ways I can make them giggle and blush. Sometimes I also point at things in the store and ask the girls what they are. Then they proceed to tell me in their China language, and I don't understand them, but I nod and smile and they giggle and blush and I mentally give myself a point.

I don't think I need to tell you that I love the 515. Most of the teachers here take taxis everywhere - not this cowboy. I am constantly looking for excuses to take the 515. I can't really explain why - it's like an adventure every time, with the farm animals and the spitting and the total lack of rules or decorum. Deb said that once when she was on the 515, a man boarded with half a cow. I think she said it was the top half. Anyway, he sort of had a bag over one end of it, but then he dropped it on the floor and blood splattered everywhere. Deb immediately fled the bus and hasn't taken it since. 515, I salute you.
Okay, that's all for now. Personally, I find these kinds of pictures sort of boring, but I thought you all would want to see them anyway. The next time I do a bunch of pictures they'll be of people, which I think is more interesting. Anyway, I'll post again soon with an update of my doings. Until then, let me know if there's anything you'd like to ask about.
Hao ba.

4 Comments:
So D, do you know what they are renovating your dorm/campus towards? Does there seem to be progress?
How long have Debbie and Martin seen the contruction going on?
I could probably ask Justin this, but what does "hao ba" mean?
The boys went to 'roke the other night. I myself refuse to venture into Cote D'azure just yet.
When does school start?
i love the five-15! and i do salute you for taking it. yeehaaawww! Bro, you must send me a Bruce-Lee outfit to wear to my class so that i can bust up the kids...other than that, stay safe and away from "muddy chickens."
I just got sent out of the teachers room. I was chucklilng throughout the entire post, but when I got to the part about the letter C being outlawed, I let out a loud laugh/snort. Kyoto sensai politely asked me to laugh outside the teachers room.
I love soda, by the way.
Post a Comment
<< Home